We are certified as a Green Business by the Bay Area Green Business Program.
What is a “Green Photographer”?
A “Green Photographer” can be defined as one who uses renewable resources (environmentally sustainable) and is accountable for the human resource aspect of their activities (socially responsible). Being Green requires developing an attitude toward sustainability and practices that can be incorporated into our everyday lives. Being a green photographer means changing the way you purchase, develop, produce, and provide products and services so you make a positive impact on the environment. Think of the planet as a warehouse of goods. When you use the goods, you have to pay for them with money or fair trade. When you use the environment’s resources, you have to pay the environment back to offset your consumption.
How do photographers become “green”?
Going green involves determining how you impact the environment, your energy and water usage, and the amount of waste you produce. You will also need to review how you qualify the vendors you use and determine how they produce and provide you with products.
Being a Green Photographer can involve voluntary certification. Becoming a certified green business can be challenging and confusing, as there are no commonly defined standards. Each organization has its own requirements to qualify. They all require you to go beyond achieving basic regulatory compliance and implement additional measures to become green. Some organizations have a standard that they apply to everyone, while others are more flexible and adapt their requirements to your line of business. They all seem to have some common areas for which they judge your business.
Certification involves a comprehensive review of the following:
• Complies with all applicable environmental regulations
• Prevents Pollution
• Reduces waste
• Tracks resource use, e.g. energy, water, recycling and waste production
• Conserves energy, water and other natural resources
• Minimize use of chemicals & hazardous materials
• Sources materials, products and services used throughout your business
• Protects public health and the environment
• Verifies the fair treatment of human resources used to produce products you buy, use and sell
• Educates and encourages employees and customers
• Assists other businesses with introducing green practices
• Involves itself with the community
We are certified by the Bay Area Green Business Program.
We are committed to using clean technology solutions in our photography:
• We use Digital Cameras instead of Film, reducing the left over harsh chemicals
• We encourage the electronic delivery of images through e-mail and online galleries
• We display and share client photos using an online photo gallery
• We use a local Bay Area based online professional photo printing service
• We encourage clients to only print the photos they want to display prominently
• We use Rechargeable Batteries in our equipment
ENVIRONMENTAL SUSTAINABILITY / ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY
We are committed to conserving energy, reducing waste, and recycling:
• We reuse shipping boxes and packing material we receive
• We recycle all paper, cardboard, bubble wrap, Styrofoam, plastics, cans and bottles
• We replaced halogen bulbs with compact florescent alternatives
• We donate old equipment or ensure it is properly recycled
• We use a High Efficiency Air Conditioner
• We clean air filters frequently to keep Furnace & A/C working efficiently
• We only heat/cool occupied areas instead of the whole studio
• We reduce trips to essentials and do more than one errand per trip
• We drive a fuel efficient Hybrid Toyota Prius
• We unplug unused power supplies that use energy even when nothing’s attached
• We replaced an old showerhead with a newer low-flow model
• We donate to 1% for the Planet
Our Green Vendors:
Bay Photo Lab: A local Green Certified business
Couture Books: The Earth Collection contains the world’s first “Green” Photo books
Pixel2Canvas-My canvas provider that has incorporated many Green practices like using recycled lumber in their frames
Loktah DVD Cases-Loktah’s essential element is the organic paper, a renewable source in the foothills of the Himalayas. This green product rises from the earth to showcase our work to you. All the products are created with Lokta paper which is a renewable source as we scrap the bark off the tree to make the paper. The bark then grows back not killing the tree. Each product is dipped in bee’s wax to preserve the quality of the paper yet allow the product to age with natural beauty.
Resources for the Bride: